Complaints Procedure

In accordance with Rule 12 Real Estate Agents Act (Professional Conduct and Client Care Rules) 2012, all licensed real estate agents are required to have a written in ‐ house complaints and dispute resolution procedure. The procedure is set out below.

You do not have to use our complaints and resolution procedure. You may make a complaint directly to the Real Estate Authority at any time. You can make a complaint to the Real Estate Authority even if you choose to also use our procedures.

In‐house Complaints and Dispute Resolution Procedures

Our complaints and dispute resolution procedures are designed to provide a simple and personalised process for resolving any complaint you might have about the service you have received from our agency.

Step 1: Call us and speak to the Licensed Agent; Peter Tong 021 987 867. Inform the Licensed Agent what your concerns are and let the Licensed Agent know what you would like done about your complaint.

Step 2: The Licensed Agent may ask you to put your complaint in writing so that he can investigate it. He will need a brief period of time to talk to the team member/s involved. We promise to come back to you within ten working days with a response to your complaint. That response may be in writing. As part of that response, we might ask you to meet with members of our team to discuss the complaint and try to agree on a resolution.

Step 3: If we are unable to come to an agreed resolution after a meeting, or if you do not wish to meet with us, then we will provide you with a written proposal to resolve your complaint.

Step 4: If you do not accept our proposal, please try and advise us in writing within five working days. You can, of course, suggest another way of resolving your complaint.

Step 5: If we accept your preferred resolution, we will attempt to implement that resolution as soon as possible. If we decline your preferred resolution, we may invite you to mediate the dispute.

Step 6: If we agree to mediate the complaint but do not settle the complaint at mediation, or we do not agree to mediate the dispute, then that will be the end of our process.

Peter Tong – Licensed Agent
74 Victoria Street,
Cambridge, 3434 

You can still make a complaint to the Real Estate Authority in the first instance and, even if you use these procedures, you can still make a complaint to the Real Estate Authority at any time. The Real Estate Authority (REA) is the independent government regulatory body for the real estate industry in New Zealand. Their role is to promote a high standard of service and professionalism in the real estate industry and assist in protecting buyers and sellers, and they provide information for buyers and sellers as well as providing advice and guidance for agents, and dealing with complaints about agents’ behaviour.

Visit REA to find details on how to make a complaint and the complaint process on the REA website.
Other existing consumer protections, such as those provided by the Fair-Trading Act 1986 and the Consumer Guarantees Act 1993, also continue to be available to consumers.
Where do I go for more information?
If you need more information or assistance with making a written complaint please call the REA on (0800 367 732).

The REA contact details are:
Real Estate Authority
PO Box 25 371, Wellington 6140
Level 4 The Todd Building
95 Customhouse Quay
Wellington 6011
Phone: 0800 367 732